Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default First Caulking a Mess

mcp6453 wrote:
So last night at about 11PM, I decided to start my bathroom caulking project by
doing the easiest run first: The intersection of the tub and the linoleum floor.
It turned out to be a mess. Even though I have read everything about caulking in
this group for the last few weeks, read the sites recommended, and viewed
numerous videos on YouTube, I smeared GE Silicone II a good half inch over the
floor.

Maybe practice makes perfect, but I still cannot determine why the finger thing
works for some and not for others. Wetting my finger sure made a big difference.
The joint between the tub and the floor was not uniform, and it was a larger
joint than some, but there was just no way for me to get a uniform bead. My next
step is to try using tape on the remaining joints. In addition, I may go back to
Home Depot and get one of the tools that someone here recommended.

One thing I did notice is that some of the YouTube caulking joints are not as
clean as they seem from a distance. A lot of them have smearing, as well. Now
when I visit other bathrooms, I guess I'll be looking over the caulking jobs. My
goal is a very professional looking caulked joint.

Perhaps you can rig something to practice on. There is nothing like
making a mess to teach one's self what doesn't work ) Using either a
finger, tool or the tip of the caulk tube, make the bead slope to the
very edge of the tape...If you are dealing with a curled edge on the
linoleum, you first need to find a way to hold it down. It might be
easier going around the tub to do the back wall first, let it cure, then
do the ends - corners are tough for me to get done neatly. Push the
tube along smoothly and steadily as you can (this is where practice helps).

Has anyone invented bottled spit? Sure would help for jobs like
caulking ) Keep a damp rag handy to keep tools/finger clean and
remove tape right away after you have caulked. If a space is larger
than about 1/4" wide, you should use backer rod (like a round rope of
firm foam) to fill the space so caulk isn't piled in too deeply - it
won't cure if not exposed to air.

Yeh, I tend to notice caulk jobs wherever I go - hard to imagine doing
it as badly as some I have seen that look more like an explosion )