Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default 3/4" slot in plywood -- route or dado?

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

True Leon - on the point of two cuts instead of one. For me, I make my
dado's with a router for the most part. I find it faster than installing
a dado blade and setting it up to a proper size cut. Since I don't own
every router bit known to man, I have to default to selecting the closest
size, and then making the board fit the slot. This by the way, I
generally do with a router also. Sometimes with the table saw. I'll
confess that my technique is based more on my preference for tool set
up/use, and the ways that seem more convenient to me, than anything else.
I don't think I could defend my techniques against others, as being a
better way.

Understood. The dado blade can be a PIA however if you route the slot like
I mentioned above you can cut an exact fit dado to any stock you wish
regardless of thickness, 5/8", 11/16", 23/32" with only a 1/2" bit. And
it only takes a couple of moments extra to use that method.
BUT we use the method which we are most comforatble with . LOL