Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 3/4" slot in plywood -- route or dado?

"Leon" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Don't try to get to the thickness of the plywood.

Cut a rabbet to a "known" thickness(1/2" is good)
and then route a slot using a 1/2" bit.

Using this method, you can really get very close
and not worry about weird sized plywood.

Actually, I would make my dado and sneak up with
the rabbet.

You can do this with a table saw or a router table.

Thank you Pat. I have been watching this same question for a long time
now, and have wondered why people make so much of such a simple thing.
Measure what you have on hand - cut to fit that measurement - glue it up.
Good Lord - why does it have to be so complicated?

I really do not see much of an advantage doing it this way. You either
cut the dado to be a precise fit or you cut a dado a specific size then
measure and make a precice cut on the board to fit the dado. IMHO 6 of
one, half dozen of the other except if you cut the shelf to fit the dado
you are making 2 cuts instead of 1.

True Leon - on the point of two cuts instead of one. For me, I make my
dado's with a router for the most part. I find it faster than installing a
dado blade and setting it up to a proper size cut. Since I don't own every
router bit known to man, I have to default to selecting the closest size,
and then making the board fit the slot. This by the way, I generally do
with a router also. Sometimes with the table saw. I'll confess that my
technique is based more on my preference for tool set up/use, and the ways
that seem more convenient to me, than anything else. I don't think I could
defend my techniques against others, as being a better way.

--

-Mike-