Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default Is there a modern alternative to Araldite?

On Jan 18, 8:25*pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

Apart from being weaker and utterly useless for hot service, Araldite
Rapid is also _slower_ than standard. Standard Araldite can be mixed
hot and will cure in a few minutes - really as fast as you're able to
work it.

Hmm - I'm no great fan of Araldite rapid, but it will also set quicker
when heated. I did this very thing over the weekend, and it set
'strong' within a minute or two. I've never had the 'slow' Araldite
set so quickly. Do you know something I don't? (I use a hot air gun to
warm it up; I have put ceramics etc. in a cooling oven overnight with
the full strength stuff)

I do agree that Araldite Rapid is very poor strength- and adhesion-
wise when compared to the normal stuff. It also seems to me that
'years ago...' Araldite was stronger than it is now. However I put
that down to the amazement of youth, and lack of experience of using
it in many and varied applications.

J^n