Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Any kits to retrofit a faucet to electronic touch control?

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:04:00 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

krw wrote:

I can't honestly understand why a mechanical (or even electrical)
foot-operated switch would be preferred over a conveinently-
positioned hand-operated touch control when it comes to turning
your kitchen faucet on or off.

Think about cleaning a paint roller. Doctors don't touch
*anything* with their hands after they've scrubbed (other than
gloves). The same theory applies to any hand-washing sink.
I'd expect to see more foot controls, given the H1N1 paranoia.

Truth is that metallic surfaces tend to kill a lot of bacteria and
viruses. So there's no point putting a lot of effort into selling foot
pedals on the belief that you're increasing kitchen hygiene.

Sure there is a point in selling hygiene.

To compare the average kitchen sink area to that of a surgical scub sink
is absurd.

Not so much. Think about chicken preparation.

Even if one of Delta's selling points for a touch-control faucet is
hygiene related, I don't put any stock in it.

You may not, but their market may. That's the whole point of
marketing (I did note the H1N1 *paranoia*).