Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Any kits to retrofit a faucet to electronic touch control?

On Jan 18, 10:02*am, Home Guy wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
I was referring to a mechanical linkage like those used in
hospitals and commercial kitchens. *For example:

(examples of institutional foot pedals)

I can't see that ever working well in a household. *Too many stubbed
toes.

People in your household run into the toe kick space often? It's just
as dangerous as a foot pedal on a garbage can - which is not.

But there are electrically operated ones that have the same
capacitive control as the Delta Touch faucet:

http://www.footfaucet.net/how_it_works.htm

That does not show a capacitive touch control. *That is an arrangement
of electrical switches with control levers long enough to be operated by
your toes.

Reading is fundamental - from the bottom of that page:
"For the times when you are bare foot, the Foot Faucet has Patent
Pending touch sensor technology that operates the hot and cold water
by just touching the pedal, no force required. The garbage disposal
pedal does not have the touch sensor feature, that pedal must be
pushed to get it to activate."

Notice the "bare foot", "touch sensor", and "no force required"...? I
can provide information, but I can't make you read it.

If someone can swap out a faucet, they can install the pedal
operated switch.

I can't honestly understand why a mechanical (or even electrical)
foot-operated switch would be preferred over a conveinently-positioned
hand-operated touch control when it comes to turning your kitchen faucet
on or off.

This is apparent.

In any case, the use of a foot pedal to turn a kitchen faucet on
and off is not my idea of ergonomic, as compared to a touch-
activated water valve.

People use two hands when they wash dishes - *I don't see how you
can wash a pot with one hand.

You should watch the video that Delta has on their website for this
touch-control faucet. *You don't have to use your hands. *You can use
your forearm, elbow, etc. *My idea to extend the touch-control surface
to the actual sink itself (assuming it's stainless steel) would make it
trivial to activate the switch regardless what you're doing with your
hands.

Right, of course...how are you going to isolate the sink so it isn't
grounded when it's _full of water_! No one ever touches a sink unless
they want to turn the water on or off? How does one reach in to get a
utensil off of the sink bottom without triggering the water control?

Your hands are often dirty when you are going to turn on the
faucet, and wet when you go to turn it off.

That wouldn't matter with a capacitive touch control.

Sigh. So this miracle Delta faucet is now also self-cleaning?

You have an idea, unfortunately it's faulty. I'm not arguing with
you, as there's no point. You can easily prove me wrong by rigging
your capacitor total sink control and patenting it. I just hope you
have deep pockets and aren't thin-skinned.