Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default Any kits to retrofit a faucet to electronic touch control?

RicodJour wrote:

I was referring to a mechanical linkage like those used in
hospitals and commercial kitchens. For example:

(examples of institutional foot pedals)

I can't see that ever working well in a household. Too many stubbed
toes.

But there are electrically operated ones that have the same
capacitive control as the Delta Touch faucet:

http://www.footfaucet.net/how_it_works.htm

That does not show a capacitive touch control. That is an arrangement
of electrical switches with control levers long enough to be operated by
your toes.

If someone can swap out a faucet, they can install the pedal
operated switch.

I can't honestly understand why a mechanical (or even electrical)
foot-operated switch would be preferred over a conveinently-positioned
hand-operated touch control when it comes to turning your kitchen faucet
on or off.

In any case, the use of a foot pedal to turn a kitchen faucet on
and off is not my idea of ergonomic, as compared to a touch-
activated water valve.

People use two hands when they wash dishes - I don't see how you
can wash a pot with one hand.

You should watch the video that Delta has on their website for this
touch-control faucet. You don't have to use your hands. You can use
your forearm, elbow, etc. My idea to extend the touch-control surface
to the actual sink itself (assuming it's stainless steel) would make it
trivial to activate the switch regardless what you're doing with your
hands.

Your hands are often dirty when you are going to turn on the
faucet, and wet when you go to turn it off.

That wouldn't matter with a capacitive touch control.

I see that the Delta faucet in question is sold by HomeDepot.com
as an internet-only item, for about $350.

The Delta faucet requires you to turn on the faucet by hand,
then the touch thing works.

Sort-of. It requires that you adust the temperature mix and flow rate
just like an ordinary faucet, but once that's set, you can turn the
water off and on repeatedly by touching the spout. You could do that
with a foot pedal if you ran the water line from the mixing valves to
the foot pedal and then up to the spout. Controlling the hot and cold
water separately with a foot pedal isn't satisfactory in my opinion
because you can't really control the mix ratio or the volume flow rate
in a satisfactory way.

You still have to adjust water temperature and flow rate by
hand, whereas the foot-operated pedals allow you to do
that on the fly.

I highly doubt that that someone has the dexterity with their feet to be
able to modulate the hot and cold pedals with enough precision to give
them the desired water temperature.

and the foot-pedal operated units win

Sorry, I think a touch-control is more ergonomic, certainly less
expensive and faster to install, more durable and requires less
maintainence.