Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Cutting A Sheetrock Panel

On Jan 18, 4:58*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Harry K wrote:

On Jan 17, 6:40=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .=

com, Harry K wrote:

While power tools will easily cut it, the gypsum dust _will_ rust the
hell out any steel/iron it gets on.

What in the world are you talking about? Iron doesn't rust unless it gets wet.

Tell that to my drawer of drywall tools. *They get thoroughly washed
and dried after every use. *Try taking a look at a box cutter blade
that has been used on sheetrock and left laying around.

Stop storing your tools at the bottom of your swimming pool, and that won't
happen. g

Seriously, though -- you ought to look at getting a dehumidifier for wherever
it is that you keep your tools. I *don't* have a problem with my tools
rusting, whether I've used them on drywall or not. It's an environment issue,
not a drywall issue. And I repeat: Iron doesn't rust unless it gets wet. It
*can't*: rust is _by definition_ *hydrated* iron oxide. Iron oxide is black,
not red. It doesn't -- can't -- become rust without the presence of water..

And did you not know that gypsum absorbs moisture?

Harry K