Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default 3/4" slot in plywood -- route or dado?

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:53:53 -0700, Robert Bonomi wrote
(in article ):

In article
,
mkr5000 wrote:
I really need to route it because I need to plunge into it and don't
want the slot the total length of the board.

Been a long time since I've done this, so can't remember if I can
route that wide a slot (3/4") -- just 1/4" deep or even less, just
enough to fit another piece of 3/4" plywood into.

Do they even make a 3/4" bit or would I have to do multiple passes for
both the width and depth? (yuk).

I've gone the router route ;^)

Problem with a dado set is you must make sure the wood is _firmly_ forced
against the table or the resulting bump in the bottom of the groove will
throw everything off. Also consider cutting more than a foot into the center
of a board (side shelf supports). Either you need a really long miter gauge
or a good panel sled setup.

-Bruce