Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Any kits to retrofit a faucet to electronic touch control?

On Jan 17, 11:44*pm, House Guy wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

I know how the things work, thanks. *The foot operated pedals are
something that can be easily retrofitted to any existing faucet and
are readily available. *Hands-free operation is superior for most
washing operations.

Do you mean a mechanical or electrical foot pedal?

I was referring to a mechanical linkage like those used in hospitals
and commercial kitchens. For example:
http://www.metaefficient.com/bathroo...ntrollers.html
http://www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com/S...s.asp?Cat=2577

But there are electrically operated ones that have the same capacitive
control as the Delta Touch faucet:
http://www.footfaucet.net/how_it_works.htm

You said that foot pedals are easily retrofitted into any existing
faucet - by that I'm thinking that you mean some sort of
mechanically-operated water valve requiring running new water lines to
the foot pedal. *If so, I wouldn't call that an easy retrofit.

If someone can swap out a faucet, they can install the pedal operated
switch.

If you mean an electrically-operated valve that's operated via foot
pedal, where exactly would you get that?

See above.

In any case, the use of a foot pedal to turn a kitchen faucet on and off
is not my idea of ergonomic, as compared to a touch-activated water
valve.

People use two hands when they wash dishes - I don't see how you can
wash a pot with one hand. Your hands are often dirty when you are
going to turn on the faucet, and wet when you go to turn it off. The
foot pedals add another dimension in control. You can turn the faucet
on and off easily and repeatedly with foot pedals, and accidentally
brushing the faucet won't accidentally cause something to happen.

There are many times that you need two hands to hold something and
need to turn the water on or off. I suppose that you could get used
to using the back of your wrist to bump the faucet or something, but
that seems awkward. The foot pedal is a more natural added control -
like driving a car.

I see that the Delta faucet in question is sold by HomeDepot.com as an
internet-only item, for about $350.

The Delta faucet requires you to turn on the faucet by hand, then the
touch thing works. You still have to adjust water temperature and
flow rate by hand, whereas the foot-operated pedals allow you to do
that on the fly. Both units have a market, but you brought up
ergonomics, and the foot-pedal operated units win...wait for
it...hands down.