Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi Robert Bonomi is offline

Default 3/4" slot in plywood -- route or dado?

In article ,
mkr5000 wrote:
I really need to route it because I need to plunge into it and don't
want the slot the total length of the board.

Been a long time since I've done this, so can't remember if I can
route that wide a slot (3/4") -- just 1/4" deep or even less, just
enough to fit another piece of 3/4" plywood into.

Do they even make a 3/4" bit or would I have to do multiple passes for
both the width and depth? (yuk).

routing to that depth is _no_ problem, assuming you've got an 'adequate' router.

_I_ would use a narrower bit, and do two passes -- that way I can guarantee
an exact fit for 'whatever' thickness the nominal 3/4" ply is. I've had some
that would _not_ fit in an exact 3/4" slot and others that were loosey-goosey
in a 23/32nds slot.

The type/class of the plywood, the manufacturer, the humidity it's been exposed
to, can all make a difference. And they're all -guaranteed- to be in the
direction that you'd rather -not- have them go. wry grin

This is especially important since you've ruled out the optimum solution of
cutting a slot with a Freud 60-tooth blade. Which, as reported in another
thread herein -- according to Freud's own advertising -- "always cuts to the
correct length."