Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Is there a modern alternative to Araldite?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
Steve wrote:
I've used Araldite for 40 years or more on all kinds of diy repairs
and I've found it pretty good at sticking hard stuff to many other
types of hard stuff. I've nearly run out and need to get some more
but it occurs to me that adhesives might well have moved on in 40
years without me noticing.

Are there better adhesives out there these days?

There are some situations where epoxy is not the easiest or most
suitable. Where some gap-filling is needed, where large amounts of
adhesive will have a tendency to flow away from where it's wanted, and
where some strength reduction is acceptable, the polyurethane in a
cartridge is very useful, e.g. Selleys Liquid Nails. I was sceptical
at first, but now I'm frequently finding uses for it.

for a quick'n'dirtyy bodge nothing beats hot glue in a gun

sticks almost anything to anything (fairly strongly) quite gap filling
and very very fast.

Doesn't give you much time to position anything, so can only be used to
spot fix.
The super glue? mentioned earlier has the benefit of curing instantly,
but only after a whiff of the activator, which appears to be a gas of
some kind because it doesn't have to physically touch the glue. It
allows DG installers to fix long lengths of floppy trims in stages i.e.
they can get the bottom bit fixed, then work their way upwards