Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Cutting A Sheetrock Panel

mcp6453 wrote:
The easiest way for me to get access to the space behind my bathroom vanity to
run some electrical wiring will be to cut a big hole in the sheetrock. It seems
that if I cut the vertical lines down the center line of the 2 x 4 studs on each
side, the panel will be much easier to reinstall. It's a no-brainer to cut a
hole in sheetrock with a sheetrock saw, but how can I cut just the 5/8" or so of
sheetrock that is against a stud?

A circular saw would work, but the sheetrock would probably destroy the blade. A
MultiMax tool might be a good idea, but I don't have one. The ideal solution in
my mind is a Rotozip, but I don't have one of those, either. While I do have a
router, it's quite large and would be hard to handle on a wall like that.

How you you professionals do this, or is there a better way?

Well, I'm no pro, but I'll jump in anyway-

No good way if you want to reuse the cut-out section for a patch. I
usually scrounge a hunk of rock to patch with, then cut a hole in the
center of the area to have something to grab. Use a straightedge and a
sharp utility knife or carpet knife to score away at your edge lines
very carefully. Idea is to not crumble the cut edge of the drywall NOT
being removed, so you can get a clean joint. Take your time and make
lots of passes, changing blades as needed. At a certain point, you will
be able to grip to open side and snap it off.

Alternative method for impatient people like me- cut the drywall flush
with the studs, using a drywall hand saw. (power saws tend to cause nail
pops.) Screw 2x3 cleats to the exposed side of the stud, and screw your
patch to those.

aem sends...