Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default 3/4" slot in plywood -- route or dado?

On Jan 16, 10:12*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I really need to route it because I need to plunge into it and don't
want the slot the total length of the board.

Do they even make a 3/4" bit

If you can get to it, mark the slot and hog out some of the midsection
with
Forstner bits on a drill press. Then (with suitable guides clamped
to the work) route full-depth with a smaller bit (maybe 1/2").

It's easier to get the bit into the cut if you dont have to plunge-cut
(and you can use non-spiral bits), it's easier on the ears to remove
the bulk of the wood with a Forstner bit, and the heat buildup (and
wear) on the expensive router bit is minimized if you just clean up
the edges with it.