Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default 3/4" slot in plywood -- route or dado?

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:26:35 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Plywood is not 3/4" thick, and yes, there are bits that are sized for
the thickness of modern plywood, generally around 23/32 for 3/4" plywood.

Assuming the OP is not using cabinet grade plywood you are correct.
However, if the project does involve cabinet grade plywood then a 3/4"
piece of plywood is 3/4" thick.

After working with probably 50 sheets of cabinet grade 3/4" plywood in the
last few years, specifically Oak veneer plywood, I can tell you that 3/4"
cabinet grade plywood is not 3/4" thick. It is very close to 23/32" as
witnessed by my tape measure just now. At least in Texas it is that way
and had been for years.

Now I will say that recently I have seen cabinet grade 1/4" oak veneer
plywood that appeared to be a full 1/4" thick at Lowe's. I was shocked.