Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Is there a modern alternative to Araldite?

Steve wrote:

I've used Araldite for 40 years or more on all kinds of diy repairs
and I've found it pretty good at sticking hard stuff to many other
types of hard stuff. I've nearly run out and need to get some more
but it occurs to me that adhesives might well have moved on in 40
years without me noticing.

Are there better adhesives out there these days?

I've recently discovered BondLoc - having watched a bedroom fitter use it
for sticking plinths on bedroom furniture.

It comes in two containers - an aerosol containing an activator, and a small
bottle with a nozzle (bit like super glue) containing the adhesive. You
spray one surface with the activator and let it dry (almost instant), spread
adhesive from the nozzle on the other surface - and then press them
together. You've got a rock solid bond in about 10 seconds.

It wouldn't work if you had gaps to fill, or in cases where you couldn't
position the items accurately first time - but for things like plinths, it's
great (as long as you don't want to take them off again!). Like all things,
it's horses for courses - and Araldite still has its uses - but for sticking
things where gaps need to be filled, I tend to use Gripfill, since I can
apply it with a sealant gun and it doesn't need mixing.

On a slightly different subject, I've also recently discovered pocket hole
jigs - for drilling pocket holes which allow boards to be screwed together
in corner joints or side by side, with no screws showing on the outside.
Apologies if this is old hat to some of you. [In case you don't know what
I'm on about, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_hole describes pocket
holes, and
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...s-worktop-jigs
shows an example of a jig for creating them.]
--
Cheers,
Roger