Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Is there a modern alternative to Araldite?

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Araldite is probably the worst of all possible formulations. or was.

When I wanted to get into boat building and not become too sensitised to
epoxy, I contacted a few people to find out where to buy industrial
quantities of quantities of resin.

Almost everyone pointed me to the makers of Araldite as being one of
only a handful, if that, of actual manufacturers of the stuff. I made
contact and Ciba-Geigy (I think it was) pointed me towards an
appropriate "manufacturer" of a suitable formulation who used their
resins.

I don't think epoxy is perfect, and the effect of UV light is a real
problem, but I haven't actually found anything better.

My biggest complaint with all chemicals, paints etc., is that it is so
difficult to find out what is actually in things, what is compatible and
what possible side effects and long term deterioration to expect. What I
need is a much better memory and simpler, more clear data.

I'm still looking for polyurethane glue that someone here suggested for
a particular task. Homebase had lots of things with fancy names, but not
many tubes said what they actually were.
--
Bill