Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Cutting A Sheetrock Panel

In article , mcp6453 wrote:

Doesn't drywall rapidly dull drill bits and saw blades?

Didn't I just say that it doesn't?

To answer your question directly: NO. Plaster does; maybe that's what you're
thinking of. But drywall is just pressed powdered gypsum. It's nowhere nearly
as hard as a steel saw blade.

I thought about buying a Rotozip since I'm going to be learning to do some
drywall work for a future project. However, the reviews on it at the new Lowes
(horribly slow) website are bad. Can I buy a Rotozip drywall bit and use it in
my battery Dremel for very small jobs, like outlets?

Dunno. Depends on whether it fits, and what the max speed on the Rotozip bit
is -- the Dremel runs somewhere around 13000 rpm, I think. Not sure if Rotozip
bits are OK to run that fast. You could Google it.

I thought I understood that
the drywall dust destroys power tool motors. If I'm wrong, that's good news.

Again, you appear to be thinking of plaster. Drywall is sometimes referred to
as "plasterboard" but it's not at all the same thing. Plaster is far harder
and more abrasive than drywall, and it *does* ruin motor bearings, drill bits,
and saw blades, and should be cut only with carbide-tipped tools (or tools
you're willing to throw away).