Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Cutting A Sheetrock Panel

Colbyt wrote:
"mcp6453" wrote in message
The easiest way for me to get access to the space behind my bathroom
vanity to
run some electrical wiring will be to cut a big hole in the sheetrock. It
seems
that if I cut the vertical lines down the center line of the 2 x 4 studs
on each
side, the panel will be much easier to reinstall. It's a no-brainer to cut
hole in sheetrock with a sheetrock saw, but how can I cut just the 5/8" or
so of
sheetrock that is against a stud?

A circular saw would work, but the sheetrock would probably destroy the
blade. A
MultiMax tool might be a good idea, but I don't have one. The ideal
solution in
my mind is a Rotozip, but I don't have one of those, either. While I do
have a
router, it's quite large and would be hard to handle on a wall like that.

How you you professionals do this, or is there a better way?

Use the rotoZip or drywall saw to cut flush to the inside edge of the studs.

Cut two straight scabs at lest 2" longer than the height of the opening and
then attach them to the studs while pulling them flush to the backside of
the drywall.. That is why you make them 2" taller than the opening.

Attach the drywall to the scabs. I use 1x11/2 or 2x2 cabs depending on what
I have handy when I need one.

You can buy a cheap cutout tool at Harborfreight for about $20.

or just buy a new piece of drywall and cut the old flush with the stud
with a keyhole saw and then after the piece is out cut it back 3/4" or
so with a utility knife.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.