Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default caring for buffed bowls

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:10:28 -0800 (PST), TWW wrote:

ok, let's get wild and crazy here and try umm.. logic!
If oil will stick to a waxed bowl, it either wasn't buffed well or you forgot
the wax, right?

I don't eat out of my stuff, but I box it up from show to show.. lot's of
contact and rubbing together but the most I've had to do in the last 3 or 4
years is wipe with a soft cloth to bring the luster back..

A few weeks back I asked the group about tung oil and buffing in cold
climate. Since it was cold I decided to wait until it warmed up so
buffed an oak bowl with no tung or Danish oil on it and gave it to
someone who loved it. When I saw her a couple of weeks later she
asked me if she should put mineral oil on it after a while like I had
told her to do with some other bowls.

I was not sure if she should put anything on it but told her I would
ask this group since you guys usually know more than I do. My
thought was mineral oil might raise the grain in the wood if it got
through the thin wax coating I put on with the buffing wheel and it
would shine less. Anyone have any experience with caring for buffed
bowls they want to pass along? Thanks.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing