Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Default caring for buffed bowls

A few weeks back I asked the group about tung oil and buffing in cold
climate. Since it was cold I decided to wait until it warmed up so
buffed an oak bowl with no tung or Danish oil on it and gave it to
someone who loved it. When I saw her a couple of weeks later she
asked me if she should put mineral oil on it after a while like I had
told her to do with some other bowls.

I was not sure if she should put anything on it but told her I would
ask this group since you guys usually know more than I do. My
thought was mineral oil might raise the grain in the wood if it got
through the thin wax coating I put on with the buffing wheel and it
would shine less. Anyone have any experience with caring for buffed
bowls they want to pass along? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The wax is good till the first time the bowl is used and rinsed out.
Any water will raise the grain, and a scotch brite pad will help get
rid of the fuzzies. It isn't necessary to oil the bowl, but I do
because I like the feel, and they look and feel better for sales
purposes. I prefer Mike Mahoney's Walnut oil, you can look him up on
the internet. His oil will set up eventually, though not over night.
Mineral oil does little. Especially, if the bowl is used for salads,
the oil from the salads works fine, but whatever is eaten out of the
bowl, the oils from the fool will season the bowl. By the way, Mike
doesn't put anything on his personal wood ware.

robo hippy

On Jan 15, 8:10*am, TWW wrote:
A few weeks back I asked the group about tung oil and buffing in cold
climate. *Since it was cold I decided to wait until it warmed up so
buffed an oak bowl with no tung or Danish oil on it and gave it to
someone who loved it. *When I saw her a couple of weeks later she
asked me if she should put mineral oil on it after a while like I had
told her to do with some other bowls.

I was not sure if she should put anything on it but told her I would
ask this group since you guys usually *know more than I do. *My
thought was mineral oil might raise the grain in the wood if it got
through the thin wax coating I put on with the buffing wheel and it
would shine less. Anyone have any experience with caring for buffed
bowls they want to pass along? *Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"TWW" wrote in message
A few weeks back I asked the group about tung oil and buffing in cold
climate. Since it was cold I decided to wait until it warmed up so
buffed an oak bowl with no tung or Danish oil on it and gave it to
someone who loved it. When I saw her a couple of weeks later she
asked me if she should put mineral oil on it after a while like I had
told her to do with some other bowls.

I was not sure if she should put anything on it but told her I would
ask this group since you guys usually know more than I do. My
thought was mineral oil might raise the grain in the wood if it got
through the thin wax coating I put on with the buffing wheel and it
would shine less. Anyone have any experience with caring for buffed
bowls they want to pass along? Thanks.

My experience with wood finishing can be written on the back of a postage
stamp. However, I am in the middle of reading an excellent book on the
subject:

http://www.garrettwade.com/product.a...cd2=1263622282

Wealth of information in detail backed by science. Many myths exploded. Oil
and wax treatments dealt with fully. I got one of the older editions out of
the library but I am ordering the new 2005 edition ASAP.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:10:28 -0800 (PST), TWW wrote:

ok, let's get wild and crazy here and try umm.. logic!
If oil will stick to a waxed bowl, it either wasn't buffed well or you forgot
the wax, right?

I don't eat out of my stuff, but I box it up from show to show.. lot's of
contact and rubbing together but the most I've had to do in the last 3 or 4
years is wipe with a soft cloth to bring the luster back..

A few weeks back I asked the group about tung oil and buffing in cold
climate. Since it was cold I decided to wait until it warmed up so
buffed an oak bowl with no tung or Danish oil on it and gave it to
someone who loved it. When I saw her a couple of weeks later she
asked me if she should put mineral oil on it after a while like I had
told her to do with some other bowls.

I was not sure if she should put anything on it but told her I would
ask this group since you guys usually know more than I do. My
thought was mineral oil might raise the grain in the wood if it got
through the thin wax coating I put on with the buffing wheel and it
would shine less. Anyone have any experience with caring for buffed
bowls they want to pass along? Thanks.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

My original post had some incorrect words I did not notice right
away. I was thinking the wax would wear off in a case like someone
using a wooden tray with cheese on it and then wiping the wooden tray
off a number of times. I cleaned a buffed wooden tray with a warm,
wrung-out dish cloth and the the shine seemed to lessen which is what
got me curious. This is different than something like mineral oil
going through wax which is not what I meant to say. The wax would have
been worn off first in some places. And then what is the best thing
to do.

And thanks for the book title which I just ordered.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 04:35:32 -0800 (PST), TWW wrote:

My original post had some incorrect words I did not notice right
away. I was thinking the wax would wear off in a case like someone
using a wooden tray with cheese on it and then wiping the wooden tray
off a number of times. I cleaned a buffed wooden tray with a warm,
wrung-out dish cloth and the the shine seemed to lessen which is what
got me curious. This is different than something like mineral oil
going through wax which is not what I meant to say. The wax would have
been worn off first in some places. And then what is the best thing
to do.

And thanks for the book title which I just ordered.

I tell my customers to bring it in for re-buffing anytime..
Usually only a quick buff with the wax wheel does the job..