Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default caring for buffed bowls

"TWW" wrote in message
A few weeks back I asked the group about tung oil and buffing in cold
climate. Since it was cold I decided to wait until it warmed up so
buffed an oak bowl with no tung or Danish oil on it and gave it to
someone who loved it. When I saw her a couple of weeks later she
asked me if she should put mineral oil on it after a while like I had
told her to do with some other bowls.

I was not sure if she should put anything on it but told her I would
ask this group since you guys usually know more than I do. My
thought was mineral oil might raise the grain in the wood if it got
through the thin wax coating I put on with the buffing wheel and it
would shine less. Anyone have any experience with caring for buffed
bowls they want to pass along? Thanks.

My experience with wood finishing can be written on the back of a postage
stamp. However, I am in the middle of reading an excellent book on the
subject:

http://www.garrettwade.com/product.a...cd2=1263622282

Wealth of information in detail backed by science. Many myths exploded. Oil
and wax treatments dealt with fully. I got one of the older editions out of
the library but I am ordering the new 2005 edition ASAP.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC