Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Review of the Dust Deputy Cyclone

On Jan 15, 6:26*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 01/15/2010 03:46 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

On Jan 15, 4:36 pm, "Leon" wrote:
Understood, but going beyond *what the instructions called for, do you know
of any reason that you could not use an air tight 20 gal container?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. *The limiting factor with
increased bucket volume will be your shop vac strength. *The larger
the volume, the harder the vacuum has to work and vacuum suction
should drop.

Sorry, this is completely wrong. *As long as the lid is airtight, it
matters not at all how big the container is. *Given that you're reducing
the pressure in the container the only difference from a larger
container is that it will take a fraction of a second longer to get
suction at the end of the hose when you turn on the vac (since you need
to suck the air out of the container first).

I guess it's the same with duct work and a central shop
vac. *If the duct work run is too long, suction suffers.

Long duct runs result in an increase in static pressure in the ductwork.
*For a given amount of suction from the blower, this results in less
airflow. *This is totally separate from the size of the cyclone container.

Chris

I stand corrected. Thank you.