Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default O/T: Abby Sunderland

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:56:03 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:45:27 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
We are not talking about stink boats here but well found blue water
boats designed for the task.

I'm guessing by stink boat, you're talking about some floating barge
with all the buoyancy of a lead bucket. In any event, I was referring
to the better boats, designed to be safer. Any boat can capsize in the
open seas under the right circumstances, even with an experienced
sailor.

My 30 foot sailboat has been knocked over flat on it's side a couple
of times in severe conditions. The thing about sailboats is that they
pop back up. The danger when it happens is that things and people go
flying. In the sort of conditions where that can happen, all openings
in the boat are shut and secured, and anyone topside is clipped in on
a short tether.

It's not uncommon for the crew of a sailboat to call for rescue and be
picked up, and then the boat is found floating months later with
little actual damage.

The vast majority of sailboats that sink, do so while at their dock,
tied up.