Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Review of the Dust Deputy Cyclone

On Jan 15, 3:56*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message

I recently reviewed the Dust Deputy DIY (Cyclone Only) and was very
pleased with the results. *For those of you (like me) with a small
shop that relies on a shop-vac for saw dust clean-up and extraction
this thing is a must.

I got one recently (on sale at Woodcraft) and have been pleased. *I did have
two problems. *First, the plastic connectors on the hose that connects the
cyclone to the shop vac split when hooked up to the cyclone although it was
simple to fix that with duct tape and a hose-clamp. *I was going to contact
the company and ask for new connectors but there seemed little point
considering a permanent fix was cheap and easy (and the new connectors would
probably have split too). *Second, the cyclone did not work at all with the
really narrow hose on my old shop vac, it seemed to reduce airflow so much
that the hose kept clogging. *However once I used a wider after-market hose
(from Mr. Nozzle--also on sale at Woodcraft) the cyclone worked very
well--so now I'm completely happy with it.

BTW, I recommend those hoses from Mr. Nozzle, I'm going to get at least one
more so I don't have to move one hose between multiple applications.

One trick to prevent the cyclone from tipping over is to use two 5-gallon
buckets nested with something heavy like a weight-lifting plate between the
two buckets. *That way you can easily empty the top bucket and leave the
weight in the bottom one.

Neat idea!

*I assume I'm not the only one with unused
weigh-lifting gear in the garage. *Of course if you have a sufficiently
large shop vac you can fasten the cyclone right to the shop vac.