Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Review of the Dust Deputy Cyclone

On Jan 15, 3:31*pm, dpb wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jan 15, 2:34 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message

GarageWoodworks wrote:
I recently reviewed the Dust Deputy DIY (Cyclone Only) and was very
pleased with the results. *For those of you (like me) with a small
shop that relies on a shop-vac for saw dust clean-up and extraction
this thing is a must.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dust_Deputy.php
NO AFFILIATION YADA YADA YADA!! * Just a very happy end-user.
Brian
www.garagewoodworks.com
do you think would this work for micron or submicron particles? i've been
looking for something like this for my sandblaster.
That would probably depend on the filter in the vacuum. *Typically the
cyclone type separators simply separate the large debris from the fine dust.
The fine dust is usually captured by a different filter.

Not accurate. *I had some very fine saw dust in the bucket in my
review. * Almost no sawdust ended up in the shop vac or attached to
the filter.

That's dependent on the definition of "fine". *It's difficult to
generate micron or submicron w/ a saw; even most sanding dust is larger
than that.

That depends on your definition/utilization of micron and submicron.

The width of a 4/4 board could be measured in microns.

The effectiveness of a cyclone separator depends on the mass of the
particulate being great enough that its inertia will be too large for it
(the particle) to follow the curvature of the air stream.
Smaller/lighter means they will be entrained in the air flow and follow
it rather than being separated.