Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk basilisk is offline

Default O/T: Abby Sunderland

On 01/15/2010 12:03 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/15/2010 11:35 AM, basilisk wrote:

Me and SWMBO recently got a Belgian Warmblood from a horse
barn that catered to young riders. This guy is 17.4 hands and 3/4's ton
of bad attitude, an animal like this requires constant vigilance when
handling, he will hurt you.(but he can also jump a 4 ft. fence without
blinking)
I can't imagine a 17 yr old of either gender being able to handle this
horse.

My favorite horse idiocy tales revolve around the propensity of urban
raised females, even older ones, refusing to geld their colts.

Reminds me of a stud horse in a dressage arena with a bunch of mares
lined up for ribbons, first time I'd ever seen a horse in the judging
booth.

Three day eventers "have to own a crazy horse" it's in the rules.

LOL ... you got that right.!

Disclaimer: I no longer ride, I consider myself too old and fragile.

I just haven't had the opportunity the past twenty years or so.

That said, although it is blurry as hell, the below is my 86 year old
Dad, just this past November (09), putting a "handle" on one of his race
track retreads that will no longer race, but may be handy around the
farm!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ0tirrX1h8

As blurry and brief as it is, a true horseman will appreciate the supple
grace of his "seat" even at that age ... although I kidded him a bit
about his feet being too far forward ... until he said "Here, show me!".

A true horseman will also notice this horse is not all that happy with
being trained, by his demeanor under saddle, and his tail twisting.

My Dad will probably ride til the day he dies.

He looks good, I hope he has many more years to ride, for me it is
simply not my passion and therefore not worth the risk anymore.

basilisk