Posted to uk.d-i-y
js.b1 js.b1 is offline

Default The future of DIY

On Jan 14, 7:24*pm, Pete Verdon
d wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
- Marmox in various thicknesses
- Kingspan/Celotex in various thicknesses and half-sheets

Couldn't get anything of the sort in B&Q or Wickes the other week. Most
just looked blank; one older lady at B&Q knew what I wanted but said the
nearest thing they had was plain expanded polystyrene.

It is annoying when you just "want 1 more sheet".
Screwfix list one insulated tile board in a circa £120 pack, but it is
not Marmox, very thin, very expensive.

Expanded is not waterproof, but is often used in window reveals
(gripfill to wall, onecoat plaster perhaps with PVA directly as it
keys into the voids in the surface).

Given the current fetish for insulation ("energy saving") I find this
surprising.

It is strange. It would be an ideal place to discount wall insulation
aimed at Hard-To-Heat-Houses (HTHH) & generally. Perhaps it will
happen once we hit a critical mass of housing having 200mm+ loft
insulation. B&Q did carry 50mm sheets of Extruded Polystyrene
insulation cheaply (£20), but that is not really the same (pracitcal
price tho).

A very large number (millions) of houses are at least 20% solid wall,
when it hit -13oC even an uninsulated cavity wall actually "bit" as
you walked past it with a fleece on. If we ever got a week of that the
frozen pipe problem would be huge (hot water only gets drawn
periodically unlike hotels which continually circulate as a ring).