Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default The future of DIY

Andy Dingley
wibbled on Thursday 14 January 2010 16:22

A "home improvement store" is Focus. They sell lampshades. If they
sell nails, they're in packs of 10, for a fiver a pack.

This is one of my complaints with B&Q - small packs of sundry hardware cost
a fortune. And yet, I can also buy 3m packs of coving for less than the
builder's merchant next door, ditto plaster (OK, I just get fatigued by
endless haggling so I go where the marked price is cheaper if I can).

B&Q is somewhere in the middle,

Agree. Leave the lampshades and cushions and rugs to Homebase (who are
invariably nearby anyway). More space for proper goods then.

with the additional crap self scan
checkouts. B&Q don't do either thing well any more.

Self scan would be good if it worked like Tescos (ie worked). It is
potentially a winner if I don't have to stand in a queue just to buy 2
things. Alternatively, poach ALDI's till staff - they are at least 3 times
faster than B&Q's.

--
Tim Watts

Icicles - nature's way of pinpointing all the leaks in your guttering...