Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default How to fix leak in 5k gallon steel water tank on concrete pad

"Godspeed" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:53:29 -0600, Jim wrote:

Cut the bottom off it and weld a new one on.

That's an interesting idea since it's the bottom that must be leaking.

One question is how to "move" the tank. It's on quarter-inch thick wood
slats (most of which are eaten away by now). The other tank is on good
quarter inch slats so I assume the rot from the water ate away the wood.

Can something like this be tipped over? It's on a hill so I'd worry about
it rolling down the hill. Can the "bottom" be welded in place?

I guess straps can be used to hold it from rolling down the hill?

No Godspeed it can't be done on it's side... It's gotta be lifted straight
up using a "gin pole" laying it on it's side will only egg shape it under
its own weight. we lay them on their side after the bottom has been welded
on and use a paint roller to apply the tar.... Jim