Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default How to fix leak in 5k gallon steel water tank on concrete pad

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

Jim wrote:
"Godspeed" wrote in message
Anyone know how to fix a leaking 5000 gallon steel water tank on a
concrete
pad?

One of two tanks is leaking from the bottom. Not much, but enough
to keep the concrete always wet (which likely is rusting it out
even more).

I can't figure out how one would go about fixing this kind of leak.

As a Journeyman welder and pipeline welder of 30 years, and as
a few other posters said, drain it and weld it. I have come across
this before...putting a patch on it will just prolong the
enevitable. Cut the bottom off it and weld a new one on. I used to
build 35-50 thousand gallon fuel tanks for the oil industry. Normal
prodedure is after having replaced a tank bottom. The outside
bottom is covered in thick tar to prevent rusting...doesn't really
matter what it sits on then..ie wood, concrete, soil. Hope that
helps... Jim

I'd guess maybe that it would cost as much or more for a 5000 gal
tank to do that as a new one by time paid rigging costs, etc.
Certainly for 10X that but in a residential (apparently?)
installation it'll be a major hassle getting it done an all
likelihood as compared to the industrial setting where it was "just
bidness"...

$0.02, etc., ... altho I suppose in an area that has requirement for
residential fire water storage there may be some folks around that
specialize so wouldn't be as big a deal as in most areas that don't
have such needs/installations at all commonly.

--

If these large tanks are common in the area, there might be some place
that specializes in installing a plastic bladder liner in them to

I've seen ads on craigslist for huge bladders used for storage of water without
a tank. One of these could perhaps be used inside the tank, or in place of it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=water+storage+bladders&rls=com.microsoft: en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1