Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default elbows in underground water pipe

Tony wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:
Today I saw the town maintenance man repair the elbow in a 2" plastic
water pipe, two feet deep in sandy soil.

He said water pressure had separated the joint. His solution was a
steel stake on either side of the joint. That's what he had before,
and it failed.

It seems to me that enough pressure to separate a joint could also, in
time, move a stake in wet, sandy soil. Is that the best way to brace
an elbow undeground?

I'm curious what kind of plastic pipe it is and is it glued, clamped, or
crimped to the elbow?

I saw only that the plastic is white. The original was apparently
glued. What if the pipe was wet when they glued it years ago? They
clamped a copper elbow in place of the plastic one.