Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How to fix leak in 5k gallon steel water tank on concrete pad

Jim wrote:
"Godspeed" wrote in message
Anyone know how to fix a leaking 5000 gallon steel water tank on a
concrete
pad?

One of two tanks is leaking from the bottom. Not much, but enough to keep
the concrete always wet (which likely is rusting it out even more).

I can't figure out how one would go about fixing this kind of leak.

As a Journeyman welder and pipeline welder of 30 years, and as a few
other posters said, drain it and weld it. I have come across this
before...putting a patch on it will just prolong the enevitable. Cut the
bottom off it and weld a new one on. I used to build 35-50 thousand gallon
fuel tanks for the oil industry. Normal prodedure is after having replaced a
tank bottom. The outside bottom is covered in thick tar to prevent
rusting...doesn't really matter what it sits on then..ie wood, concrete,
soil. Hope that helps... Jim

I'd guess maybe that it would cost as much or more for a 5000 gal tank
to do that as a new one by time paid rigging costs, etc. Certainly for
10X that but in a residential (apparently?) installation it'll be a
major hassle getting it done an all likelihood as compared to the
industrial setting where it was "just bidness"...

$0.02, etc., ... altho I suppose in an area that has requirement for
residential fire water storage there may be some folks around that
specialize so wouldn't be as big a deal as in most areas that don't have
such needs/installations at all commonly.