Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default How to fix leak in 5k gallon steel water tank on concrete pad

"Godspeed" wrote in message
Anyone know how to fix a leaking 5000 gallon steel water tank on a
concrete
pad?

One of two tanks is leaking from the bottom. Not much, but enough to keep
the concrete always wet (which likely is rusting it out even more).

I can't figure out how one would go about fixing this kind of leak.

As a Journeyman welder and pipeline welder of 30 years, and as a few
other posters said, drain it and weld it. I have come across this
before...putting a patch on it will just prolong the enevitable. Cut the
bottom off it and weld a new one on. I used to build 35-50 thousand gallon
fuel tanks for the oil industry. Normal prodedure is after having replaced a
tank bottom. The outside bottom is covered in thick tar to prevent
rusting...doesn't really matter what it sits on then..ie wood, concrete,
soil. Hope that helps... Jim