Posted to alt.home.repair
Godspeed[_2_] Godspeed[_2_] is offline

Default How to fix leak in 5k gallon steel water tank on concrete pad

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 05:43:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not enough information. Chances are, the tank is rusted, very thin

When the well had a problem in the summer, the well guy took a look at the
tank leak and said the tank was in "good shape" externally.

This steel tank is lying on very thin slats of wood (most of which are
rotted out). The two tanks are about 20 years old since the home is only
about 20 years old.

They're painted steel on the outside with absolutely no visible rust on the
outside. Inside, there is rust on the steel and there does not seem to be a
"lining" that I know of (the water inside looked yucky from the top but the
well guy said that's normal).

The well guy said he never "fixes" leaking water tanks. Said it's like
fixing a radiator on a car. Plug one spot and the hole opens up somewhere
else. He recommended a brand new non-steel tank. Sure. It's not his money.
That's twenty grand.

Of course a new tank is "better". But, does it pay to weld a plate?

Since the tanks are in great visual shape, I'm hoping there is a viable
fix-it solution. Does a "normal" welder do this kind of work or is there a
specialty shop somewhere out there like roto rooter or something?