Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba lap top problem

N_Cook wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
news

Meat Plow wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:26:10 -0500, Dana wrote:

I know you have to make sure the battery is in the computer before it

will
boot. Does anyone know of a way around this? I have a toshiba lap top

that
is about 5 years old, and it won't boot. I did try a friend's battery

and
it worked then. I am blind and will have to get someone to check the
voltage on the power supply and make sure we have voltage on the

terminals
on the computer also. Bet some of you guys have had this problem

before.
E-mail me back to this address if you can help. Located in Georgia and
have unlimited long distance. Not verry good at typing out the problem.

Seems you can type pretty good for being so blind that you can't read
a volt meter.

Once again proving what an asshole you can be. I know a ham radio
operator who is completely blind. He can touch type and uses text to
speech software to use E-mail nd browse the web. Another ham taught him
to assemble a computer form scratch, and install the OS and application
software after his asshole boss made a comment about how F'ing useless
the blind ham was. The funny part was the blind ham assembled & set up
the computer faster that the friend's boss who owned the computer store.

I met him about 15 years ago when he had computer problems, and had
let Best Buy work on it since they were only a few miles away, and my
shop was over an hour away. They had installed two additional HD
controller cards along with the original, all set for the same base
address and IRQs. I pulled the new cards and found a minor problem,
then sent him on his way.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Its probably easier for blind contributors on Usenet than practically
anywhere else on the www because of all the bloated sites /frames / flash
mangling and obscuring whatever info is buried in there. Usenet having
started with test-only terminals and 400 baud or so modems.

Are there stand alone DVMs with voiced output ?, pc scopes with descriptive
text ?

There are DVMs with a serial port.

I imagine there are electronic repairers with poor sight , but are there any
blind repairers?

I've known a couple who were legally blind. They could make out some
things with special glasses, but they only worked with simple, tube
based equipment. Another tech I knew was handicapped. His arms were
severely twisted, and he couldn't hold his head upright. It leaned about
45 degrees to his right, so he would lean even further to his right to
repair tube radios & TVs. I wonder what happened to them? It's been
over 30 years since I've seen any of them.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.