Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Thinking seriously of buying the "EZ-Rougher"

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:41:53 -0800 (PST), robo hippy
wrote:

Yeah.. love my Mega Eliminator, use it a LOT.. Definitely not designed for
roughing irregular peces of ironwood, though..

My concern with the EZ rougher is that most of the pieces that I'd want to use
it on might be spinning too slow to make it effective..

Actually, I don't have one. I do use a 'big ugly' tool which is a 7/8
inch wide by 3/16 thick by 3 inch long piece of tantung steel silver
soldered onto a 3/4 inch square stock bar. There is a cutter on both
ends of the bar, and you wear a heavy leather glove on the handle
hand. Tantung is almost as hard as carbide, but you can sharpen it
easily on a standard grinder. The Oregon coastal myrtle wood turners
have been using it for years. It keeps its edge a long time, not as
long as carbide, but much longer than HSS. Both the big ugly, and the
Easy rougher are scrapers. They do work better at higher speeds, and
if you roll it to 45 degrees, you get a nice clean shear cut. There is
a post on the AAW site about a source for the cutters which is a lot
cheaper than buying them direct. I do use the Eliminator tools which
have a carbide disc, and consider it great for finish cuts on end
grain. Not so good for roughing. You have to keep it at 45 degrees
(like the Hunter tools), because if you hold them flat, they are
really grabby.

robo hippy

On Jan 10, 6:10*pm, "dangre" wrote:
Mac
* * *Talk to Ken at Woodchuck Tools.http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/index.htm
I own 2 of the Woodchucks and can testify that they are excellent tools at a
great price.

Dan

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing