Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Serious press fit

On Jan 8, 5:50*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
The boat tranny took a dump. Its a ZF-301C behind a Cummins 450 horse
diesel. Took a trip to the ZF repair shop yesterday. The front of this
tranny has the flywheel transfer plate just press fit on - no key way. To
remove the plate, they hooked it up to 50,000 psi oil pressure on a fitting
in the plate just for this purpose. The interesting part, to press it back
on they put it in a 60 ton press and used the same 50,000 psi fitting to
increase the ID of the transfer plate. Interesting piece of German
engineering. The mechanics there didn't know, but I assume each piece has a
slight taper.

Boat should run again tomorrow.

Karl

Been a bit since I read about it, but one racing engine manufacturer
used to make up crankshafts the same way, I believe they had roller
bearing lowers on the rods. I believe it was SKF that came up with
that method. Had to have the factory jig to get the crank back
together, too. Seemed like a whole lot of effort to avoid having a
decent oil system and plain bearings. One backfire and the whole
crank was trash, no keys to retain angular positioning. A triumph of
engineering over common sense.

Stan