Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Nine new engines? -- six new transmissions? -- 60 new enginesand transmissions?

Wes wrote:

Thanks for the update. My burning question is, however, will this engine and the rest of
the car make 250,000 miles if I take care of it?

That's a good question. In the dirt bike world, I've always been a
thumper fan, so was thrilled when not too many years ago, everyone got
deadly serious about competitive 4 stroke race bikes. Well, they've
largely gotten there, but only with loads of high tech and complexity.
I've been out of the dirt bike game for years, but some friends have
said that rebuilding a racing thumper is not for the ham fisted. Not to
mention requiring many more, more expensive parts, than a 2 stroke.

250k miles? Only time will tell...

btw, I've been very impressed with my wife's Ford Sapphire over in Oz.
While not a hot rod, it has oodles of torque. It takes a fair bit of
concentration on my part to keep it under 110km/hr on the highway. Even
on a decent grade, a few moments distraction and I've found myself up to
120-130. I took a peek under the hood, it's a monster straight 6 with
fuel injection. I'd long wondered how a big straight 6 would work with
FI, now I know. And I'll bet taken care of, that engine is good for
several hundred thousand miles, easy.

Jon