Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Clearing snow ....

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:17:25 +0000, Old Git wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:13:38 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Arthur 51 wrote:
from pavement outside terraced huse....
Most of it solid so I'm sorely tempted to whip out my
heat gun and melt the crap away.

wasting your time.

I tried to defrost a fridge that way.

angle grinder and hot salty water.

Off on a tangent from that. Up until the early 60s (first spotted it
when I just joined the RN), they used a water bowser to keep the roads
and much of the pavements clear. They topped it up with sea oggin then
drove around the town, spraying it from front and rear spray bars.
Kept the town wonderfully clear of snow and ice. Don't really know why
they stopped it as sea salt probably couldn't be more damaging than
road salt they use now. Spect I will now get shot down.

There's one council (Staffs., Cheshire? - that wayish) that's wetting the
salt as it's fed to the spinner. Apparently it acts more quicly and spreads
better than just salt.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.