Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Thinking seriously of buying the "EZ-Rougher"

On Jan 8, 11:13 pm, mac davis wrote:
Is it worth the money?
Anyone besides Robohippy use one?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hello Mac,

I first saw them demonstrated at the Desert Woodturning Roundup in
early 2009. I was impressed enough that I bought both the Ci1 and the
Ci2 at that time. Mildred and I use them a great deal when roughing
wood down to round. I turned a complete goblet with the Ci1 and the
lathe running at 2000 rpm, except for the inside bottom of the bowl.
It cut clean enough to be ready to sand at that speed. It is a bit
rough at slower speeds. When at the Utah Woodturning Symposium I
picked up the Easy Finisher and found it works very well, again it
works better with higher speeds. They seem expernsive, but are very
little more than a bowl gouge. One of their major advantages is you
don't have to spend a lot of time sharpening. It doesn't work like a
scraper where the tool tip must be tipped down. With this tool you go
straight in on center line of rotation.

I don't have any interest in this tool other than it is a good tool
that is being maligned by many of the experienced turners. I feel the
tool will help beginners to turn better quicker.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net