Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Serious press fit

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"JR North" wrote in message
The stupidity of this design is mind-boggling. Import engines,
especially Toyota, all have slip-on dampeners, with a couple 10's
clearance. There is absolutely no need to have a press fit, except to
demonstrate their inability to machine the crank and dampener to such
close tolerance.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

How do Toyota and others fix those dampeners to their shafts?

One advantage of a press fit, especially for such heavily loaded joints
as
those between a flywheel and the shaft of a piston engine, is that there
is
no keyway to weaken the shaft and to produce a stress raiser in both
mating
parts. It's frustrating for those of us who like to repair things, but
the
big issue today, as we've all noticed, is not ease of repair. I wanted to
strangle the nearest Korean last week when I had to replace a headlamp in
my
Hyundai, in a place that looked like it was intentionally designed to
tear
up your knuckles and to give you cramps in your fingers. g

Your hands are too big, I bet.

They're not very big, but they're a lot bigger than those of the average
Asian woman, I suspect.

They don't have nearly enough joints to do the job, either. I think you need
about five in each finger, and they have to bend in all axes.

I've heard that they are very flexible.

Joe Gwinn

BTW, I can change a bulb in the left headlamp in roughly 2 minutes. In the
right headlamp, it's a half-hour plus. And I need bent-tip needle-nose
pliers to release the spring clamp. I've had to replace the right bulb
twice, and my blood pressure probably jumped 20 points each time.

War story: In the early 1970s, a penurious friend asked me to repair
the lightmeter on her old Nikon (F1?). The repair was easy - just
solder the wire back onto the meter, and lace the wire down with waxed
dental floss so it wouldn't flop and break.

Then I tried to put the camera back together. No dice - fingers too
large. This brought to mind those advertising shots of the assembly
area, with ranks of benches each with a five-foot-nothing woman at work.
Their thumbs might be the size of my pinky. Laughed, took camera back
apart, lengthened the wires, and then was able to reassemble the camera.

Joe Gwinn

There's usually a solution. Sometimes it requires re-design. g