Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Serious press fit

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
William Wixon wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

How do Toyota and others fix those dampeners to their shafts?

One advantage of a press fit, especially for such heavily loaded joints
as those between a flywheel and the shaft of a piston engine, is that
there is no keyway to weaken the shaft and to produce a stress raiser in
both mating parts. It's frustrating for those of us who like to repair
things, but the big issue today, as we've all noticed, is not ease of
repair. I wanted to strangle the nearest Korean last week when I had to
replace a headlamp in my Hyundai, in a place that looked like it was
intentionally designed to tear up your knuckles and to give you cramps
in your fingers. g

--
Ed Huntress

lol. i had to replace the battery in my mother's saturn, the acid leaked
and corroded the underlying metal structure, i wanted to do a GOOD job
(instead of just slapping another battery back in) so i took out the
steel battery tray. holy **** i was like "this m'f'er must've been
designed by a computer!" i had to take apart like the entire corner of
the car to get the battery tray out and clean and paint it and the parts
under it. everything was attached/bolted/clipped/overlaid/underlaid on
top of/etc. everything else.

b.w.

There is always one part the is installed first. Sadly, it seems like
that is the part you often want to replace first. I encountered this
often when I moonlighted in a major company's lawnmower service center.
Often, when you do it more than once or twice, you can figure out the
direct path, that helps speed things up a little.

By the end of that spring, I could do short blocks or swap transmissions
in about 1/2 hour. Total time from putting it on the bench to test
running the repaired machine.

Practice makes perfect. A friend of mine just sold his car service shop and
retired; he was very good, and would tackle anything. I used to spend an
hour or two every once in a while talking to him and watching him work (he
was also very sociable and tolerant g). The thing that amazed me was the
way he could cut through all of the stuff and get right to the part that
needed work. Since he worked on my cars and I always used to own at least
two manuals for each, one the factory manual, and had studied most jobs
before I decided to turn them over to him, I knew he wasn't following the
manuals at all.

I concluded that if I wasn't having fun, I wouldn't do the jobs myself.
Thinking about how an experienced mechanic could do the job in 1/10th the
time it took me gave me a shot of reality about saving money by doing it
myself.

But some of it is still fun -- or it would be, if I had a car that was fun
to work on. Sports cars were fun.

--
Ed Huntress