Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Serious press fit

spaco wrote:

Could you tell me a little more about WHERE the pressure was applied?
I could see simply pumping oil in between the shaft and the plate to get
it off, but that wouldn't work to get it back on.

Pete Stanaitis

If you were to maintain the high pressure oil in the cavity (with a
relief valve) while pressing the part in with even higher pressure,
wouldn't the oil pressure tend to expand the opening as well as
lubricating it as the higher pressure press forced some oil back through
the relief valve? A bit like blowing pressure into a rubber hose to keep
it open while pressing a shaft into it. We tend not to think of big
hunks of metal being flexible, but if the pressure is high enough...

----------------------
Karl Townsend wrote:
The boat tranny took a dump. Its a ZF-301C behind a Cummins 450 horse
diesel. Took a trip to the ZF repair shop yesterday. The front of this
tranny has the flywheel transfer plate just press fit on - no key way. To
remove the plate, they hooked it up to 50,000 psi oil pressure on a fitting
in the plate just for this purpose. The interesting part, to press it back
on they put it in a 60 ton press and used the same 50,000 psi fitting to
increase the ID of the transfer plate. Interesting piece of German
engineering. The mechanics there didn't know, but I assume each piece has a
slight taper.

Boat should run again tomorrow.

Karl