Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_3_] Jay-T[_3_] is offline

Default Glue sheetrock to masonry wall?

Thanks. That looks interesting. After seeing what you posted, I copied
this from a different page on the same webiste. The questions are all
clickable links.

Sound

1. What Johns Manville products provide the best sound control?

2. What is the difference between a thermal fiber glass batt and an
acoustic fiber glass batt?

3. Can I use the Blown In Blanket System (BIBS) for sound control
applications?

4. Are there advantages to using steel studs vs. wood studs?

5. What are resilient channels and where are they sold?

DanG wrote:
Install a resilient channel to the masonry wall with Topcon type
fasteners. Install drywall to the resilient channel.

http://www.jm.com/insulation/faqs/996.htm

"Jay-T" wrote in message
I am thinking about adding a layer of sheetrock to an existing
party/dividing wall that is between my house and the house next
door. I am trying to decide what is the best way to attach the
sheetrock to the existing wall.

The party/dividing wall is above grade in the living area of the
house and is made of bricks/masonry covered by what seems like
either mortar or the type of "rough coat" material that goes
under plaster. I am not sure exactly what it is, but it seems
softer than mortar. On top of that is a few coats of latex
paint. The existing wall is in excellent shape -- flat, solid,
no cracks, etc.

My question is, how should I attach the new sheetrock to the
existing wall? Can I just glue it to the existing wall or do I
need to use some type of fasteners in addition to glue? Maybe
just glue it and only use a few screws to hold it in place while
the glue dries? I haven't tried seeing if sheetrock screws will
go into the wall yet, but I can try that. Or, maybe some kind
of Tapcon screws would be needed -- but I'd like to avoid having
to do a lot of drilling etc. for a whole wall.

Also, what type of glue should I be using? I've seen Liquid
Nails, LockTite, etc. but don't know which to choose.

The property is a house that I own that will be rented out. The
reason that I am thinking of adding a layer of sheetrock to the
party/dividing wall is to try to help reduce the sound
transmission between the two properties. I do know that just
adding sheetrock won't do too much, but I am hoping it will at
least add a little more density to the wall to cut down the
sound transmission at least a little.