Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Serious press fit

JR North writes:

The stupidity of this design is mind-boggling. Import engines,
especially Toyota, all have slip-on dampeners, with a couple 10's
clearance. There is absolutely no need to have a press fit, except to
demonstrate their inability to machine the crank and dampener to such
close tolerance.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:52:52 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" writes:

The boat tranny took a dump. Its a ZF-301C behind a Cummins 450 horse
diesel. Took a trip to the ZF repair shop yesterday. The front of this
tranny has the flywheel transfer plate just press fit on - no key way. To
remove the plate, they hooked it up to 50,000 psi oil pressure on a fitting
in the plate just for this purpose. The interesting part, to press it back
on they put it in a 60 ton press and used the same 50,000 psi fitting to
increase the ID of the transfer plate. Interesting piece of German
engineering. The mechanics there didn't know, but I assume each piece has a
slight taper.

Boat should run again tomorrow.

Moving from boats to cars, one of the very few things I don't like about
modern Chrysler engines is the use of a press-fit for the crankshaft
pulley. Keyed pulleys are just incredibly easier to work with....

The weird thing there is that while Toyota gets the pulley right, in
general the 3.0 Toyota engine and the 1990 pickup it's installed in is
the miserable vehicle to work on that I've ever owned. My 2000 Intrepid
and 2007 Dakota are immeasurably better.