Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Glue sheetrock to masonry wall?

Install a resilient channel to the masonry wall with Topcon type
fasteners. Install drywall to the resilient channel.

http://www.jm.com/insulation/faqs/996.htm

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Jay-T" wrote in message
I am thinking about adding a layer of sheetrock to an existing
party/dividing wall that is between my house and the house next
door. I am trying to decide what is the best way to attach the
sheetrock to the existing wall.

The party/dividing wall is above grade in the living area of the
house and is made of bricks/masonry covered by what seems like
either mortar or the type of "rough coat" material that goes
under plaster. I am not sure exactly what it is, but it seems
softer than mortar. On top of that is a few coats of latex
paint. The existing wall is in excellent shape -- flat, solid,
no cracks, etc.

My question is, how should I attach the new sheetrock to the
existing wall? Can I just glue it to the existing wall or do I
need to use some type of fasteners in addition to glue? Maybe
just glue it and only use a few screws to hold it in place while
the glue dries? I haven't tried seeing if sheetrock screws will
go into the wall yet, but I can try that. Or, maybe some kind
of Tapcon screws would be needed -- but I'd like to avoid having
to do a lot of drilling etc. for a whole wall.

Also, what type of glue should I be using? I've seen Liquid
Nails, LockTite, etc. but don't know which to choose.

The property is a house that I own that will be rented out. The
reason that I am thinking of adding a layer of sheetrock to the
party/dividing wall is to try to help reduce the sound
transmission between the two properties. I do know that just
adding sheetrock won't do too much, but I am hoping it will at
least add a little more density to the wall to cut down the
sound transmission at least a little.