Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Serious press fit

"William Wixon" wrote in message
news

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

How do Toyota and others fix those dampeners to their shafts?

One advantage of a press fit, especially for such heavily loaded joints
as those between a flywheel and the shaft of a piston engine, is that
there is no keyway to weaken the shaft and to produce a stress raiser in
both mating parts. It's frustrating for those of us who like to repair
things, but the big issue today, as we've all noticed, is not ease of
repair. I wanted to strangle the nearest Korean last week when I had to
replace a headlamp in my Hyundai, in a place that looked like it was
intentionally designed to tear up your knuckles and to give you cramps in
your fingers. g

--
Ed Huntress

lol. i had to replace the battery in my mother's saturn, the acid leaked
and corroded the underlying metal structure, i wanted to do a GOOD job
(instead of just slapping another battery back in) so i took out the steel
battery tray. holy **** i was like "this m'f'er must've been designed by
a computer!" i had to take apart like the entire corner of the car to get
the battery tray out and clean and paint it and the parts under it.
everything was attached/bolted/clipped/overlaid/underlaid on top of/etc.
everything else.

b.w.

This could be a really good group rant. I'll bet everyone here has some
stories like this. I have at least a half-dozen, but having to lower the
engine in my Caravan (said the manual) to replace the serpentine belt is my
personal best.

I fixed that particular problem permanently, BTW. One time when I had the
engine all unbolted and hanging down, I took a 3-pound maul, aimed it
carefully at the offending bulge in the right-side strut tower, and,
swinging it with two hands, gave the bulge one hell of a whack. I only
needed an extra 1/2" or so of clearance to begin with -- one would think
that Chrysler could have done something about that themselves.

Hoping that I hadn't bound up the suspension so that the wheel wouldn't move
up or down, I bolted the engine back in place and drove happily away.
Problem solved.

--
Ed Huntress