Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8952 Ignoramus8952 is offline

Default Serious press fit

On 2010-01-09, William Wixon wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

How do Toyota and others fix those dampeners to their shafts?

One advantage of a press fit, especially for such heavily loaded joints as
those between a flywheel and the shaft of a piston engine, is that there
is no keyway to weaken the shaft and to produce a stress raiser in both
mating parts. It's frustrating for those of us who like to repair things,
but the big issue today, as we've all noticed, is not ease of repair. I
wanted to strangle the nearest Korean last week when I had to replace a
headlamp in my Hyundai, in a place that looked like it was intentionally
designed to tear up your knuckles and to give you cramps in your fingers.

lol. i had to replace the battery in my mother's saturn, the acid leaked
and corroded the underlying metal structure, i wanted to do a GOOD job
(instead of just slapping another battery back in) so i took out the steel
battery tray. holy **** i was like "this m'f'er must've been designed by a
computer!" i had to take apart like the entire corner of the car to get the
battery tray out and clean and paint it and the parts under it. everything
was attached/bolted/clipped/overlaid/underlaid on top of/etc. everything
else.

Sadly, my 2007 (2007 classic, really a 2006) Chevy truck is like that,
also. (my Dodge was much better). Ease of repair is no longer a
priority.