Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Serious press fit

"JR North" wrote in message
The stupidity of this design is mind-boggling. Import engines,
especially Toyota, all have slip-on dampeners, with a couple 10's
clearance. There is absolutely no need to have a press fit, except to
demonstrate their inability to machine the crank and dampener to such
close tolerance.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

How do Toyota and others fix those dampeners to their shafts?

One advantage of a press fit, especially for such heavily loaded joints as
those between a flywheel and the shaft of a piston engine, is that there is
no keyway to weaken the shaft and to produce a stress raiser in both mating
parts. It's frustrating for those of us who like to repair things, but the
big issue today, as we've all noticed, is not ease of repair. I wanted to
strangle the nearest Korean last week when I had to replace a headlamp in my
Hyundai, in a place that looked like it was intentionally designed to tear
up your knuckles and to give you cramps in your fingers. g

--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:52:52 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" writes:

The boat tranny took a dump. Its a ZF-301C behind a Cummins 450 horse
diesel. Took a trip to the ZF repair shop yesterday. The front of this
tranny has the flywheel transfer plate just press fit on - no key way.
remove the plate, they hooked it up to 50,000 psi oil pressure on a
fitting
in the plate just for this purpose. The interesting part, to press it
back
on they put it in a 60 ton press and used the same 50,000 psi fitting to
increase the ID of the transfer plate. Interesting piece of German
engineering. The mechanics there didn't know, but I assume each piece
has a
slight taper.

Boat should run again tomorrow.

Moving from boats to cars, one of the very few things I don't like about
modern Chrysler engines is the use of a press-fit for the crankshaft
pulley. Keyed pulleys are just incredibly easier to work with....